Grow Aussie natives indoors: varieties, tips and tricks
Millie shows you some Australian native plants that can be kept indoors.
Tips for choosing natives for indoors:
– Start with rainforest species as these plants thrive in low-light levels
– Plants with a water storage system will be more forgiving if you miss a watering
– If you have a warm and bright spot indoors, you may have success with bush tucker plants like the Davidson Plum, however you won’t get fruit indoors if the plant isn’t pollinated
– Look for plants with interesting or striking form and foliage
– Try native vines like the Kangaroo Vine if you have an indoor stairwell in a sunny location
Caring for native indoor plants:
– Use a good quality native potting mix for your native indoor plants – these will drain well and contain fertiliser in the mix
– Top up indoor pots every 6 months
– Apply a small amount of mulch around the top – gravel can work well for indoor plants
– Wipe leaves to remove dust with a moist rag. Dusty leaves cut down the amount of light available to the plants
– Inspect plant for mealy-bugs and scale and treat with horticultural oil.
Watering indoor native plants:
– Water requirements will vary according to the light, humidity and temperature that the plants are growing in
– Most plants like to stay moist but not drowning so water where the pots can drain freely then sit them inside a sealed pot that’s lined with gravel at the base. This ensures the plant isn’t sitting in water.
Location, location, location:
– Choose a place indoors that resembles the natural growing conditions of the plant
– Avoid hot, north-facing positions that could burn the plant
– Filtered light is usually ideal
– Be mindful of heaters, fires and air-conditioners that can dry out plants.
– If your plant isn’t thriving in one location, try another till you get the best spot. You may need to move plants throughout the seasons.
Watch Gardening Australia on ABC iview: http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/gardening-australia
About Gardening Australia:
Gardening Australia is an ABC TV program providing gardening know-how and inspiration. Presented by Australia’s leading horticultural experts, Gardening Australia is a valuable resource to all gardeners through the television program, the magazine, books, DVDs and extensive online content.
Connect with other Gardening Australia fans:
Like Gardening Australia on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gardeningaustralia
Follow Gardening Australia on Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/gardeningaustralia
Visit the Gardening Australia website: http://www.abc.net.au/gardening
This is an official Australian Broadcasting Corporation YouTube channel.
Contributions may be removed if they violate ABC’s Online Conditions of Use http://www.abc.net.au/conditions.htm (Section 3).